Kowtow was born in 2007 with the desire to create an ethical label that would be the example for a fashion forward, global thinking business. 11 years on, the label opens its flagship store in their hometown of Wellington, New Zealand, with an emphasis on natural, locally sourced and sustainable materials.
▼从地板到天花板的木制结构将空间有韵律地分隔，floor to ceiling structures divide the space with rhythm
▼木制屏墙细部，detail of wood structure
▼我们用两扇大窗代替传统的展示橱窗，这样过路人可以清楚地看到每天商店内的景象，two large windows, instead of traditional displays, frame the space so that passerbys have an open and transparent view of the store’s day to day life
“商店的开业将Kowtow的理念带入了现实，对我们来说唯一的选择就是与Rufus Knight和他带领的创意十足的室内设计师合作，Rufus对于和我们合作感到十分激动，因为我们将可持续理念作为品牌的核心，而他也希望将这个概念运用到设计当中。我们考虑了所有细节——从回收的尼龙地毯到在新西兰生长打磨的木材。” Gosia Piatek（品牌创始人和创意主管）说。
“The store opening is an opportunity to bring the Kowtow ethos into a physical space. The only option for us was to engage interior designer and architect, Rufus Knight, as he is leading the charge with innovative interiors. Rufus was excited to work with us as sustainability and traceability is core to what we do and he wanted to execute that in the design. Every detail was considered – from the recycled nylon rugs to the New Zealand grown and milled timber – “ Gosia Piatek – Founder & Creative Director.
▼展示架零散布置，销售工作人员可以看到整个店面，方便与客人交流，display shelves punctuate the space so that the point of sale anchors the space and invites conversation
The store articulates minimalism, simplicity and generosity. From the outside, two large windows frame the space. Instead of traditional displays, passerbys have an open and transparent view of the store’s day to day life. Floor to ceiling structures divide the space with rhythm and support a bespoke racking system, while display shelves punctuate the space. The point of sale anchors the space and invites conversation.
▼模块式沙发上面放置的软垫里装的是可以回收利用作为肥料的纤维（未经过加工的羊毛混合物），modular sofas upholstered with renewable and compostable fibres: virgin wool blends
▼可持续方式生长、收获、打磨的桉树，手工制作的无毒害、环境友好的Osmo硬蜡油，sustainably grown, harvested and milled eucalyptus, finished by hand with an non-toxic, eco friendly Osmo hardwax oil
▼亚麻布窗帘和Hotaru Buoy吊灯，linen curtains and Hotaru Buoy pendant lights
• 由当地艺术家Gidon Bing手工制作的瓷砖。
• 由Simon James设计的模块式沙发，上面放置的软垫里装的是可以回收利用作为肥料的纤维（未经过加工的羊毛混合物）。
• 由Barber & Osgerby设计、Ozeki & Co Ltd（日本一家著名的公司，自1981年开始致力于纸灯笼制作）制造的Hotaru Buoy吊灯。
Every aspect of the store has been selected with sustainability in mind:
• Sustainably grown, harvested and milled eucalyptus, finished by hand with an non-toxic, eco friendly Osmo hardwax oil.
• Point of sale and display units are made from valchromat, a FSC certified product made with post industrial recycled wood chips and aimed at reducing environmental impact.
• Handmade ceramic tiles by local artist, Gidon Bing.
• Floor rugs made from salvaged and recycled synthetics, including fishing nets recovered from the ocean.
• Modular sofas designed by Simon James and upholstered with renewable and compostable fibres: virgin wool blends.
• Linen curtains that have been sustainably grown, harvested and processed using the environmentally friendly dew-retting method.
• Hotaru Buoy pendant lights designed by Barber & Osgerby and manufactured by Ozeki & Co Ltd., a celebrated Japanese company dedicated to making paper lanterns since 1891.
▼售卖展示区和展示架细节，point of sale and display units and detail of display shelves