▼商店临街立面外观，street view of the store © 王厅
The store name WU comes from the four tones of Mandarin, which are 屋(wū, means house) , 无 (wú, means nothingness), 五 (wǔ, means five) and 物(wù, means object). It implies the idea of exploring and rethinking the origin of all things on earth, penetrating into the four dimensions of lifestyle, so as to create a diversified high-quality life. This exactly coincides with the design thinking.
▼设计概念，WU意取“wu”，现代汉语的四个声调：屋、无、五、物，design concept, the store name WU comes from the four tones of Mandarin, which are 屋(wū, means house) , 无 (wú, means nothingness), 五 (wǔ, means five) and 物(wù, means object) © CUN DESIGN
未来·屋 | Future · wū is habitat
▼商店位于商场内的入口，the entrance located inside the mall © 王厅
▼从前台的圆形洞口看商店室内，利用毛石材料的自然特性进行陈列，viewing the interior store through the round opening on the front desk, rubble stone is adopted as one of the main materials for display in the space © 王厅
▼商店室内，加入了极具反差的科技质感的金属材质，interior view of the store, metal material with technical texture forms a shape contrast © 王厅
With street frontage, the project is located in the 1st floor, Topwin Center, Sanlitun, Beijing, China. It aims to be a space to contain the special features of brand WU, ranging from form, storyline, elements and time; all of which are put together to show the great power of WU. Nowadays, it is always ineffective to impress consumers through cramming design. In the designer’s opinion, marketing and creativity in business should be experienced. In a natural and minimalist way, Yuppie culture and Dandy style are mixed here, and men’s dressing etiquette is blending into space design.
Rubble stone is adopted as one of the main materials for display in the space. Its natural feature is a preservation of traditional memories. In addition, metal material with technical texture forms a shape contrast. The designer hopes that the whole space arrangement can break through the traditional single display mode. Instead, scene is created to enhance interaction, allowing customers to enjoy traditional memory and future technology at the same time. Such a consumption space will not be quickly outdated in the future, but will be able to meet the aesthetic standards of the new generation.
▼由自然石材打造而成的展览空间细节，details of the display areas made of the rubble stones © 王厅
界限·无 | Boundaries · wú is limitless
Coco Chanel once said: “Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.” When it comes to the proportions of this project, the functional areas like rest area, front desk area, fitting room, and the clothing display area are accumulated and combined in the form of modules, being interlocked with each other. Regardless of the space limit defined by product, geometric patterns and lines along with cold light source echo with the mirror in the space and the customized vaulted strip light, creating a “spatio-temporal tunnel” to the future.
▼几何图案与线条搭配上偏理性的冷色调光源，结合空间中的镜面与定制的拱形灯带虚实相生，呈现出一个穿越未来的“时空隧道”，geometric patterns and lines along with cold light source echo with the mirror in the space and the customized vaulted strip light, creating a “spatio-temporal tunnel” to the future © 王厅
The image of front desk is downplayed and matched with the rest area to form an arc operation room. As the center of entire flow space, it’s in the back side of store, so, it does not affect the consumption line, while solving the experience of purchase and service.
▼前台与休息区域组合搭配，形成一个弧线功能操作间，the front desk is matched with the rest area to form an arc operation room © 王厅
The light trough is designed corresponding to the display position of products. And the track spotlight is embedded in the top surface, highlighting the clothes and adjusting the angle of light and shadow, thus adding rhythm to space. The light saturation and interspersed mirrors give the space a strong tension while presenting the best quality of clothes.
▼灯光的饱和和镜面的穿插使空间强烈并且有张力，同时呈现出衣物的最佳品质，the light saturation and interspersed mirrors give the space a strong tension while presenting the best quality of clothes © 王厅
▼商店中极具科技感的的舞狮引领着三架胶囊舱（试衣间）在隧道内穿梭前行，a lion dancing with high-tech feeling is designed to lead the concept of three capsules (fitting rooms) moving through the tunnel © 王厅
The storefront is on the first floor of mall with two entrances in front and back doors, connecting the “spatio-temporal tunnel” in the store and acting as an extension of interior space. A lion dancing with high-tech feeling is designed to lead the concept of three capsules (fitting rooms) moving through the tunnel. The three capsule-style fitting rooms are located in the center of space, where the moving lines are most concentrated. Consumers who get their intentional clothes can directly enter the capsule for “upgrade and transformation”. In order to facilitate fitting, a recessed round storage space for cellphone and personal belongings is set on an ergonomic position in the capsule wall. There are round windows at different positions on the top of fitting room to ensure ventilation and vivid feeling of capsule.
▼三个太空舱式样的试衣间处于空间正中心位置，the three capsule-style fitting rooms are located in the center of space © 王厅
▼太空舱式样的试衣间，the capsule-style fitting rooms © 王厅
▼试衣间内部，interior view of the fitting room © 王厅
逻辑·五 | Logic · wǔ is sense
▼商店室内局部，partial interior view of the store © 王厅
▼座椅围绕着试衣间设置，seatings are organized around the fitting rooms © 王厅
▼座椅细节，seating details © 王厅
The designer keeps the faith that consumers are the most important elements. What impress consumers and stimulate them to purchase and understand the brand link lies in the objects which trigger their sense of touch and visual perception, and remind memory and emotions. In the design of WU, there are five business logics:
1. Understanding the client: The place spirit displayed in commercial design is actually a means of operation, that is to say, only when there is a need of operation, there is commercial space design. The design should lead customer flow to create brand value, so that spatial orientation (including the intersection of moving lines, the staying point, the node of purchase process) can stimulate high consumption.
2. Good design from backward induction: Good commercial design comes from a reasoning method based on profit model and future products, so that it gives consumers a cognitive psychology which implies a scene model for positive consumption.
3. Creating value: In commercial buying, emotional appeal is becoming one of the standards to measure a brand and a space for customers. They emphasize more on the value tag behind product than the pure physical needs. In the new application space scenario, consumers are no longer willing to pay just for the objective value in use, but instead paying more attention to the emotional premium brought by space.
4. IP implantation: The underlying business logic of consumption is offering a sense of identity and clarity of value for the target consumer group. For a complete commercial design, space is only a part of it, it should integrate into the brand’s SI system, as well as product promotion and consumption orientation.
5. Space futurity: As a new attempt by CUN DESIGN, the project is actually more like a scene installation, which can be regarded as a practical model on future business research. Space is just a form, which is more like an exploration on the possibility of buying habits and feelings for the “new” consumer group.
▼室内空间细节，space details © 王厅
商业·物 | Business · wù is object
What is “WU”? Why are these people willing to come to visit it? Is it a good menswear brand? If the project can raise these concerns, the design goal has been achieved. In fact, no matter it is business logic or product itself, commercial brand aims to create an atmosphere that everyone who comes can feel it and accept it. From the perspective of designer, the project is an experimental practice and a future-proofed business form.
▼平面布置图，layout plan © CUN DESIGN
Project name: WU Menswear Flagship Store
Design: CUN DESIGN
Proprietor: Beijing Wu Yuan Clothing Co., Ltd.
Project location: 1st floor, Topwin Center, Sanlitun, Beijing, China
Project area: 150㎡
Chief designer: Cui Shu
Participating designers: Lin Mengdan, Yan Mengyao
Project completion: 28 June, 2019
Main material: rubble, metal plate, paint finish, mirror
Photographer: Wang Ting